Chia Cornbread Muffins
We were craving cornbread muffins to eat with our healthy green soup, but I didn't have any eggs. I had been playing with chia seeds though, so decided to make the muffins using chia gel in place of the eggs. It was a great success and the muffins are delicious and nutritious!
Ingredients - makes 12 muffins
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup Polenta (corn meal)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup hemp oil
- First, stir the chia seeds into the water and leave to thicken up. Stir again a few times and leave until the seeds have completely taken up all the water and have become a good thick mixture. This should only take a few minutes. Stir again.
- Stir all the other ingredients together in a bowl. Add in the thickened chia gel and stir well until the mixture is completely combined.
- Put spoonfuls of the mixture into greased muffin pans - approx. 3/4 full.
- Bake at 190 degrees C for approx. 25 mins.
- Serve with soup, or as a side for just about anything.
You can use this recipe in a baking dish, or bread tins - whatever you choose. Just remember to alter the cooking time accordingly.