Chocolate Beetroot Brownies
When I have a craving for beetroot, I buy big bunches of it from my local farmers' market. It is so good juiced with (or without) other fruit and veg! Suddenly finding myself with an excess of it and with a different craving - this time for chocolate - I decided to make these gluten free and dairy free brownies. This is how they turned out and I don't think I'll ever go back to ordinary chocolate brownies again! What's more, these are actually full of good and healthy ingredients!
- 200g dark chocolate - chopped
- 200g extra virgin coconut oil
- 150g honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g rice flour
- 100g ground almonds (almond meal)
- 20g cocoa powder - or cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250g raw beetroot - grated
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place chocolate, coconut oil and honey in a large bowl and place over a pan of simmering water. Leave to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Beat the eggs with the vanilla.
- Combine the rice flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder and baking powder in a bowl.
- Stir melted chocolate mixture into eggs, then fold into the dry ingredients. Add the beetroot and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into baking tin, roughly 28 x 20cm. Bake in oven for approx. 20mins, until just firm to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out slightly sticky. Leave to cool in the tin and cut into squares.
Delicious with ice-cream and/or custard.