Peanut, Cashew & Hazelnut Butter
If you look at the ingredients contained in most nut butters that you buy from the shop, you may be surprised to discover how much sugar is in there - not to mention other sweeteners, thickeners and the variety of different oils.
A healthy alternative - as well as much tastier - is to make your own.
I use a high-powered blender to make this nut butter but you can also use a food processor. Remember to stop and scrape the mixture down every few minutes. A food processor will take longer but do persevere, it is so worthwhile!
- 1 cup organic peanuts
- 1 cup organic cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup organic hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp organic unrefined coldpressed virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt if desired
- Spread nuts onto baking trays and roast in 150C oven for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 mins.
- Take trays out of oven and let nuts cool.
- Put cooled nuts into blender (or food processor) and process until they are a butter-like consistency. You may have to stir a few times in between processing.
- Add the coconut oil and process until mixed through.
- Add salt to taste and stir through.
- Transfer nut butter to a clean glass jar.
You can use this nut butter in cooking, baking or simply eat it straight from the spoon!